Senior IAS officer Nalini Netto has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Kerala. Before this, she was working as the Additional Chief Secretary of Home and Vigilance, and Principal secretary to the Chief Minister. She will assume office on April 1, 2017. Subrato Biswas will be the new Home Secretary.
Read on to know some more facts about her.
1. Starting from 1981, Nalini Netto has donned multiple hats in her career. She has served as Tourism Secretary, Irrigation Secretary, District Collector of Thiruvananthapuram, among other posts. She was also the first woman Chief Electoral Officer of Kerala.
2. She was the transport secretary in 1999. At that time, she registered a case against Former MP Neelalohithadasan Nadar on charges of sexual harassment. The accused was imprisoned for a year and had to give a compensation of Rs. 50,000. According to a report, she had sustained injuries on her lips and right index finger.
3. In 2014, she was elevated to the post of Additional Chief Secretary by the UDF government.
4. During her eventful stint, she was seen taking tough stands in a number of cases. The Puttinghal Temple fire tragedy in Kollam that killed 112 people last year is one of those.
5. In February this year, there was reportedly private complaint filed against her. According to a report, she was using her official position to illegally remove Director General Of Police T.P Senkumar as State Police Chief before completing his term. But the plea made against her was dismissed when no such evidence was found.
Women taking crucial leadership positions is a positive step towards women emancipation.
Image credits: Matrubhumi