#PriyankaGandhi has decided to enter politics, to oversee elections in Uttar Pradesh as per a report by IndiaToday. Priyanka, 44, had in the last election campaigned for her family in their constituencies of Raebareli and Amethi. This time, she is expected to lead rallies across the state, which votes next year. According to the report, Congress plans to make the official announcement soon. [Feature Image Credit: Siasat]
Here are eight quick things to know about the young Gandhi.
- Priyanka Gandhi was born 12 January 1972
- She is married to Robert Vadra, a businessman from Delhi. The wedding took place at the Gandhi home, 10 Janpath, on 18 February 1997. Priyanka had met Robert when she was just thirteen.
- She has been interested in politics only from the periphery. Still early days when in a 1999 campaign, she said in an interview with the BBC: “I am very clear in my mind. Politics is not a strong pull, the people are. And I can do things for them without being in politics”
- In the Indian general election, 2004, she was her mother’s campaign manager
- Priyanka Gandhi admits to writing her mother’s speeches for Sonia Gandhi’s first campaign
- There are certain aspects of politics I am just not suited to, she had said in an interview with NDTV in 2009. Vipassana helped Priyanka clear her mind and convinced her to drop the idea of mainstream involvement in politics.
- Priyanka Gandhi is a follower of Buddhist philosophy, and has completed a Masters’ in Buddhist studies. She is a practitioner of Vipassanā
- Raihan and Miraya are her children. I like my ordinary life she said in an interview with Outlook. “On a typical day, I get up in the morning, get my children ready and take them to school.”
Join Us on https://www.facebook.com/SheThePeoplePage
Follow Us on https://twitter.com/SheThePeopleTV