The debate whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable is long-standing one, but tomatoes are definitely beneficial for health. They do much more than just provide basic nutrition to the body.
So let’s check out some amazing health benefits which make it an irreplaceable part of our daily diet:
1) Combats Cancer: Tomatoes have a high amount of Vitamin C that can fight the formation of free radicals that are known to cause cancer. Lycopene present in tomatoes lower the chances of prostate cancer. Beta-carotene is effective in preventing colon cancer, and tomatoes are a rich source of beta-carotene.
2) Keeps Blood Pressure Under Control: As much as controlling sodium intake is required to maintain a healthy blood pressure, increasing intake of potassium is also important for its vasodilation effects (dilation of blood vessels that decreases the blood pressure). Tomatoes are a rich source of potassium and thus are helpful in maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
3) Makes skin look Youthful: Lycopene and Vitamin C present in tomatoes help rejuvenate the skin. Eating tomatoes or applying tomatoes as part of beauty mask can prevent ageing of the skin, and reduces wrinkles also it helps cure sunburn.
4) Keeps your baby healthy during Pregnancy: Folic acid present in tomatoes prevents defects of the neural tube in infants. Also, it has many nutrients and antioxidants that are good for the health of your baby.
5) Helps Stay away from Depression: Folic acid present in tomatoes prevent the excess formation of homocysteine in the body. Homocysteine is an amino acid, excess of which prevents the flow of nutrients and blood to the brain and interferes with the production of happy hormones which regulate mood, sleep and appetite.
6) Healthy Eyes: Tomatoes being a rich source of vitamin C and many other nutrients and antioxidants like lycopene, beta-carotene etc. are great for your vision.
7) Counters the damages of Smoking: Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid, which can reduce the damage done by tobacco smoking to your body.
8) Improves digestion and prevents constipation: Tomatoes are a rich in fibre, consuming fibre is essential to keep the bowel healthy.
9) Bone Health: Tomatoes are a rich source of antioxidants which helps improve bone health.
10) Aids in Weight Loss: It increases the fat-burning process due to the presence of an amino acid, carnitine, which speeds the bodies’ fat burning process.
Picture Credit: assets.simplyrecipe.com