Ruskin Bond is a popular Indian author of British descent. He has been writing for over 60 years and has more than 120 titles to his credit. Equally loved by children and adults a lot of his work is influenced by his personal experiences and based on lifestyles and folklore dominant in the foothills of Himalayas. Born on 19 May 1934 he is currently based in the Landour near Mussoorie. He grew up in various cities across the country starting from Jamnagar, Shimla, New Delhi and then settled in Mussoorie.
Today on his 83rd birthday we bring you some of the most inspiring quotes from his writings that make for useful life lessons.
1. To be able to laugh and to be merciful are the only things that make man better than the beast.
2. Happiness is as exclusive as a butterfly, and you must never pursue it. If you stay very still, it may come and settle on your hand. But only briefly. Savour those moments, for they will not come in your way very often.
3. Hinduism comes closest to being a nature religion. Rivers, rocks, trees, plants, animals, and birds all play their part, both in mythology and everyday worship. This harmony is most evident in remote places like this, and I hope it does not lose its unique character in the ruthless urban advance.
4.Yes, I’d love to have a garden of my own – spacious, and full of everything that is fragrant and flowering. But if I don’t succeed, never mind – I’ve still got the dream.
5. Book readers are special people, and they will always turn to books as the ultimate pleasure. Those who do not read are the unfortunate ones. There’s nothing wrong with them; but they are missing out on one of life’s compensations and rewards. A great book is a friend that never lets you down. You can return to it again and again and the joy first derived from it will still be there.
6. It is always the same with mountains. Once you have lived with them for any length of time, you belong to them. There is no escape.
7. Love is undying, of that I feel certain. I mean deep, abiding, cherishing love. The love that gives protection even as you, my guardian angel, gave me protection long after you had gone-and continue to give this very day… A love beyond Death-a love that makes Life alive!
8. In our imperfect world, there is far too much talk and not enough thought.
9. The adventure is not in getting somewhere, it’s the one-the-way experience, it is not the expected. It is the surprise.
10. It’s courage, not luck that takes us through to the end of the road.
Also Read: A Bond for Life By Dilnavaz Bamboat