Kalpana Chawla is one such dynamic person who proved it to the world that women can be so much more than the status they usually get. Being the first Indian woman in space, she inspired thousands of girls across the country to chase their dreams.
On February 1, 2003, she along with six other crew members died when the ill-fated Columbia space shuttle disintegrated just minutes before it was to land on earth. This was her second space mission.
Her death was an irreparable loss for humanity. The Indian government recognized her contribution in the field of astronomy by constituting The Kalpana Chawla Award in 2004 for acknowledging budding women scientists. There is a planetarium in Kurukshetra and a medical college in Haryana named after her.
On her death anniversary today, let us go through some of her quotes that continue to illuminate and inspire the world.
1. The path from dreams to success does exist. May you have the vision to find it, the courage to get on to it, and the perseverance to follow it. Wishing you a great journey.
2. When you look at the stars and the galaxy, you feel that you are not just from any particular piece of land, but from the solar system.
3. You are just your intelligence.
4. I would say if you have a dream, follow it. It doesn’t really matter whether you are a woman or from India or from wherever
5. It’s easy for me to be motivated and inspired by seeing somebody who just goes all out to do something.
6. Do something because you really want to do it. If you’re doing it just for the goal and don’t enjoy the path, then I think you’re cheating yourself.
7. There are so many people who are arguing or fighting over issues which don’t have much relevance. We must all realize it is not worth it. It’s like being in the whirlpools which are always present behind a little rock near a river. We seem to be living in these little whirlpools and forget that there is a whole river. The picture is much bigger.
A great woman of substance, Kalpana Chawla will always be remembered for her never-say die attitude.
Read Also: She Died So That Others Might Live
Image Credits: Kalpana Chawla’s blog