India’s representation at the Wimbledon this year in the under fourteen series has been decided. Tanisha Kashyap of Assam will represent India at the Championships scheduled to be held at London in August this year. Her participation at the most famous grass courts in the world was clinched thanks to her winning the qualifiers held recently. Here is what she said to NE Today:
“I am more than delighted to represent my country. It is a dream come true. I will give it my best to shine for my country in Wimbledon.”
The selections were conducted in multiple phases across 4 cities in India, namely Indore, Hyderabad, Delhi and Mumbai. The final selections were conducted at Kolkata last month, where Tanisha emerged winner, beating Sharannya Gaware 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-2 . Here are a few things to know about this young player:
- She is the first Assamese girl to represent India in the under-14 series at Wimbledon
- She is from Hajo, a religious pilgrimage on the banks of the Brahmaputra, near the city of Guwahati
- By far her biggest achievement, this isn’t the only one for in the world of tennis. She already has 12 junior title wins and one national championship credited to her name
- All set to create an impact with her performance, she is currently training in Delhi under Davis Cup players and top coaches Vivek Shoken and Vishal Uppal
- She will be accompanied by under 14 men’s challenger Dev V Javia of Gujarat at the finals in London.
Last year Mahak Jain of Indore took the same route and one year down the line, her game, visibility and outreach has increased dramatically. We hope the same, perhaps better fate falls on Tanisha. All eyes on you girl!
Tanisha’s Image in Banner: Assam Tribune & Northeast Today