Eighteen-year-old Karman Kaur Thandi is a budding tennis player. She is cutting the waves to make her name in tennis in India. She has won three ITF titles and few Fed Cup titles for India. Playing since she was 8 she is the next thing to watch out for on the tennis circuit.
A few things to know about this rising superstar:
1) Karman Kaur presently has a ranking of 530 in WTA singles. She has represented India in Fed Cup. On a junior tour, she had a career-high ranking of 32 in 2016.
2) A confident stroke player with a cool head, Kaur is known to be good at serving and has a strong forehand.
3) Kaur believes there has always been a gap between juniors and professionals in tennis in India. Kaur’s goal is to get into top 250 and she is quite determined about it. In India, there are no top-notch facilities for tennis training and players usually go out for the coaching. Tennis is a very expensive sport. Therefore, in such situations, sponsorship becomes mandatory at times.
4) She says, “It was hard in the beginning, at junior level you don’t get sponsors and players need sponsors to play at the top well. I am thankful to Asics, which is supporting me and has given me a lot of confidence. It feels good to know that you have the backing of everyone when you’re going out on the court.” according to News18 report.
5) She is a huge fan of Maria Sharapova. With her outstanding performance, she managed to get noticed the Indian Tennis Ace, Mahesh Bhupathi who helped her to join Patrice Mouratoglou’s Academy in France. Even world No.1 Serena Williams took tennis coaching from Mouratoglou.
6) At present, Kaur is supervised by Benjamin Ebrahimzadeh who had once been a coach for the World No. 1, Angelique Kerber.
Pic Credit: Sportskeeda.com