A ‘Weekly Women Haat’ was inaugurated in Dehradun by Chief minister Harish Rawat catering to the women self-help group strengthening scheme under “Mukhyamantri Mahila Swayam Sahayta Samuh Sashtikaran Yojana” at Vikas Bhawan on Sunday.
“This is an initiative to strengthen the economy of the state. Some more ‘Weekly Women Haats’ will come up in other parts of the state,” The chief minister said to TOI. The Chief Minister walked to every stall and had a chat with the women about their products and he assured them that the concept of weekly women haat would get popularity gradually.
The initiative has been put on table with the aim of bringing economic prosperity in rural areas of the state. The state government has noticed that many women self-help groups are taking the plunge to change the face of rural economy and with this step, the government hopes to encourage many more women to become part of such self-help groups.
“We are heading for a phenomenal change in the state economy with its per capita income going up every day,” said N S Napalchyal, economic analyst.
Here are things to know:
- All women self-help groups will be given a bank account opened where an initial deposit of Rs 5,000 will be made.
- According to the chief minister, if these groups work actively, then will be granted a Rs 20,000.
- For leasing a village land and farming, the groups will be given Rs 1 lakh.
- The state government has set up plans to start more such projects to encourage buyers to purchase products made by these organizations.
- The aim is to have the weekly women haat in every district, and as a result rural products become available in cities too.
- The women self-help groups also have been made in-charge of meeting demands of local food products in major towns like Dehradun, Haridwar, Roorkee and Udham Singh Nagar.
- The intention is to bridge the gap between the village economy with the urban economy.
- The organizations working for social welfare of women have joined hands and will help promoting the sale of their products.
Feature Image Credit: sewabharat.org
Join Us on https://www.facebook.com/SheThePeoplePage
Follow Us on https://twitter.com/SheThePeopleTV