“This election and every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives. There is only one person I trust with that responsibility, only one person I believe is truly qualified to be president of the United States, and that is Hillary Clinton.”
This was Michelle Obama’s emotional appeal to voters as she stood beside Hillary Clinton at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia on Monday, claiming ‘I’m with her’. In a speech peppered with personal anecdotes that made it all the more effective, she chose her words carefully, calling Clinton a role model for the nation’s children” , and praising her determination in her effort to break the most important glass ceiling in America, in one of the most passionate speeches this election.
Some highlights of her speech, which moved some in the audience to tears:
- Making a strong case for America being ready for it’s first female president, the First Lady said “Because of Hillary Clinton all the sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be a president of the United States.” A big thumbs up to that !
- While contradicting Trump’s “Make America Great Again” campaign slogan, Mrs. Obama also gave a personal touch to the speech, speaking about her children who are getting raised in the White House which was in fact built by slaves. “Don’t let anyone tell you that America isn’t great. This right now is the greatest country on earth,” she expressed.
- Her jibes at Donald Trump were smart and witty. A sample ” “I want someone with the proven strength to preserve. Someone who knows this job and takes it seriously. Someone who understands that the issues a president faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters.” This a clear criticism of Trump’s tendency to take to twitter for issues.
- She cornered Trump sharply by making the case that, because of Clinton’s character and temperament, she is the one and true role model she’d like her daughters to see in the Oval Office.
- She called Clinton “a leader who will be guided every day by the love and hope and impossibly big dreams that we all have for our children.” She also added, “who will teach our children that everyone in this country matters.” And then came the clincher “I am here tonight because I know that that is the kind of president that Hillary Clinton will be, and that’s why in this election, I’m with her,”
It was a speech that drew rapturous applause from the audience, including former president Bill Clinton. And supporters will no doubt be hoping this very personal appeal goes down well with voters. After all, this is one glass ceiling which is waiting to be shattered!
Feature Image Credit: cnsnews.com