The Oscars is always a delight to watch. Every year we get to see all our favourite stars descend onto the red carpet and watch who takes home the world’s most prestigious film awards. We bring to you some of the best moments from this year’s event.
1. Viola Davis won an Oscar, thus becoming the first Black woman to win an Oscar, Emmy and Tony for Acting. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress, in her performance in Fences.
“I became an artist, and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life,” she said as part of her acceptance speech.
2. Priyanka Chopra made waves for her stunning appearance on the red carpet.
3. A NASA physicist Katherine Johnson, who was one of the heroes featured in the documentary Hidden Figures, was honoured at the Oscars. The cast of the documentary, which won an Oscar, brought out the 98-year-old on stage.
4. The In Memoriam montage at the Oscars paid tribute to Star Wars’ Carrie Fisher, and her mother Debbie Reynolds who died at the end of 2016.
5. The first Iranian to go into space, Anousheh Ansari, accepted an Oscar on behalf of director Asghar Farhadi. On behalf of him, she spoke out against Trump’s inhuman immigration ban.
6. Actresses Dakota Johnson and Emma Stone subtly showed their support of reproductive rights organisation Planned Parenthood by wearing representative pins on their outfits.
7. Emma Stone won the Best Actress Award for her performance in La La Land.
“To the women in this category. . . . you are all so extraordinary, and I look up to you and I admire you more than I can put in words. . .it has been the greatest honour,” she said in her speech.
Cartoonist Liza Donnelly’s cartoons were all the rage on Twitter. Check out some of her refreshing illustrations below: