The reigning “Queen” of Indian hearts since March 2014- Kangana Ranaut – was conferred upon with the perhaps the most prestigious honor for an actress in India- the National Award for Best Actress, for her pivot role in Queen. The award ceremony took place in Delhi yesterday, and here is everything you need to know about the awards, and why Kangana Ranaut is a darling of them:
1. The National Awards are considered the most prominent and prestigious awards for India, and they aim to appreciate the very best in Indian Cinema. This is the 62nd year of the National awards. A national panel appointed by the government, that decides winners across the gamut of all regional cinemas. No one less than the President of India presents the award every year.
2. Kangana Ranaut received the award for Best Actress for her 2014 Bollywood film “Queen,” which has done exceedingly well at various awarding forums. And Kangana accepted her award from President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
3. Kangana Ranaut is slowly turning into a fixture at the National Awards, because- as it turns out- she has received a National Award in the past too. Back in 2009, she bagged the National Award for Best Supporting Actress for her short yet powerful and moving performance in the 2008 Bollywood film “Fashion” where she played a model who was on her downfall, because she was tangled in the ugly side of the glamour world. What’s more- she has achieved this feat before she even turns 28.
4. Kangana Ranaut is not the biggest fan of award ceremonies. In fact, she’s openly opposed to most commercial awards just like Aamir Khan, and distrusts the practices they employ for deciding winners. She even won the Filmfare for Best actress for Queen, but decided to snub the ceremony like every year for the past 3 years. But the National awards are something she hold in very high regard, and attended the ceremony all smiles about her win.
5. She says this award is a “landmark” and has brought about quite a change in her career. People are starting to have much more confidence in her skills, and are starting to believe that she can carry an entire film on her shoulders.
6. Fashionista that she is, she didn’t disappoint fans this time around too. Sporting a beautiful Bibhu Mohaptra silver-gown complete with a flowing cape, she looked as poised, confident and empowered as ever.
Image Courtesy: Indian Express