Today is Democratic Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s 68th birthday. We are just a few weeks away from the US Presidential election, and here are a few interesting facts about this inspiring lady:
1. She has broken the glass ceiling many times, the latest of course is becoming the Presidential nominee for the Democratic Party. Hillary Clinton was the first female chair of the Legal Services Corporation and the first female partner at Rose Law Firm. In 2000, she became the first First Lady of the United States to be elected to the Senate.
2. She wrote to NASA as a child, asking them how to become an astronaut. NASA wrote back saying girls could not become astronauts!
3. She wanted to become an astronaut, journalist or baseball player when she was younger. She started out by supporting the Republican Party, and even campaigned for Barry Goldwater in 1964. She switched parties in 1968.
4. She has been fighting for women’s rights since the beginning of her career. Her historic speech at the United Nations Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing 20 years ago resonates even today.
“If there is one message that echoes forth from this conference, it is that human rights are women’s rights … and women’s rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely, and the right to be heard,” she said.
5. She has raised over $330 million in funds according to CNN. The number beats the $150 million President Obama raised in 2008.
Here’s wishing Hillary Clinton a happy birthday!